Harvest Fruit Bars
1 6-ounce package diced dried mixed fruit bits
1 cup chopped banana (about 2 medium)
2/3 cup Tropicana Orange Juice*
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice or ground cinnamon, divided
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
1/2 pound ( 2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine dried fruit, banana, orange juice and
1 teaspoon apple pie spice; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats and remaining 1/2 teaspoon
apple pie spice; mix well.
4. In a large bowl, beat margarine and sugar together with an electric
mixer until creamy. Add oat mixture and beat until crumbly.
5. Reserve 3/4 cup mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture onto
bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until
light golden brown.
6. Spread fruit evenly over crust to within 1/4 inch of edge. Add nuts
to reserved oat mixture and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over fruit and
pat down lightly.
7. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely; cut into
bars. Store loosely covered. Makes 32 bars.
If using old-fashioned oats, decrease orange juice to 1/2 cup.