Cara Cara Orange Spinach Salad
BEE SWEET CITRUS
4 cups spinach, washed and dried well
2 cups bite-size pieces romaine lettuce
5 strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 1/2 Bee Sweet Cara Cara oranges
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Place greens in a salad bowl. Add sliced strawberries.
2. Remove peel from the whole orange, slice orange into rounds and cut
rounds in half. Add to greens and strawberries.
3. Squeeze the juice of the 1/2 orange over all ingredients in the bowl.
4. Sprinkle blue cheese over the salad.
5. To prepare the vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, salt and pepper in a
small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil until emulsified.
6. Toss salad with enough vinaigrette to moisten. Serve immediately.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Tip: Bee Sweet Citrus navel or Valencia oranges can be substituted for
Cara Cara oranges.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
White Nectarine Salad
with Raspberry Vinaigrette
RASPBERRY VINAIGRET TE 2 Trinity white nectarines
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar 1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice 12 or more butter lettuce leaves,
1 medium shallot, coarsely washed and dried
chopped 1/2 cup raspberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar 1/2 cup pecan halves, lightly
2/3 cup canola oil toasted
Kosher salt 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
Freshly ground black pepper Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare Raspberry Vinaigrette: In a food processor fitted with the steel
blade, process vinegar, lemon juice, shallot and sugar for 5 seconds. Add
oil in a thin stream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Slice nectarines and toss gently with lemon juice.
3. Divide lettuce leaves among 4 chilled salad plates. Arrange nectarines,
raspberries and pecans artfully on lettuce leaves. Garnish with crumbled
goat cheese and drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
just before serving. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe created by Roy Harland, executive chef/partner,
Slates Restaurant, Fresno, California.