Baked Pasta with
Sausage and Peppers
1 1/2 pounds Tarantino’s mild Italian sausages, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large onion, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, sliced
1 large red bell pepper, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in puree
1 15-ounce can tomato puree
1 pound penne pasta
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a nonstick pan, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned,
stirring occasionally. Drain fat, then reduce heat to medium.
3. Add onion, peppers and garlic; cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables
are tender. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato puree and 1/4 teaspoon salt; simmer
on low for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil with a dash of salt. Add pasta
and cook until almost done. Drain pasta, return it to the pot, and stir in the
sauce and mozzarella.
5. Transfer pasta mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with
Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until browned.
6. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8-10 servings.
*Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.