Artichokes with Ricotta and Basil
OCEAN MIST FARMS
4 medium to large Ocean Mist Farms artichokes
2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Rinse artichokes. Trim off ends of stems and top third of petals. Cut
artichokes in half lengthwise. Arrange, cut side down, in a 9-by-13-by-
2-inch baking dish. Add water to fill halfway and lemon juice or vinegar.
Cover tightly with foil. Bake until a petal pulls off easily, about 30 minutes.
3. Combine ricotta, 1/4 cup Parmesan, egg, basil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
in a medium bowl.
4. When artichokes are done, pour off cooking liquid. Turn artichokes cut
side up. Remove fuzzy center with a grapefruit spoon or melon baller and
soft inner leaves and discard. Brush cut surfaces with olive oil and sprinkle
with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon ricotta mixture into artichoke halves. Sprinkle with remaining
Parmesan. Return to oven until tops are lightly browned, about 15-20
minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
6 strips bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
1 small onion, chopped
4 cups Shiitake-Ya* Dried Sliced Mushrooms, rehydrated
2 16-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon each pepper, dried basil and dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a skillet, sauté bacon, onion and shiitake mushrooms over medium
heat, stirring, until bacon is cooked.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in mushroom mixture and all other
ingredients except 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan. Turn into a well-greased 9-by-13-inch casserole. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to
brown. Makes 8 servings.
Tip: This dish can also be served cold as an appetizer, cut into bite-size pieces.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.