Maureen Benoliel’s Grandmother’s Rice
This recipe was handed down by Costco employee Joel Benoliel’s
wife’s grandmother, who in turn received it from her grandmother, and so on. The family came from the Isle of Rhodes.
This is but one of many examples of the Spanish influence on
Sephardic Jewish cooking that have been preserved for well
over 500 years. This particular recipe most likely reflects the
Sephardic experience in Spain in the years before 1492.
2 cups pearl rice
2/3 cup olive oil
3 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1. Wash and drain the rice 3 times.
2. Put oil, water, salt and tomato sauce in a large saucepan
and bring to a boil. Add rice and stir. Bring to a boil again.
Lower heat to simmer, cover and continue cooking.
3. After 15 minutes, stir in the garbanzo beans. Continue
cooking for another 15 minutes.
4. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated, and they’re
just as tasty the next day. Makes 8 servings.
1/2 cup heavy
2 tablespoons Sunkist
1 tablespoon chopped
Whip cream until
soft peaks form. Stir in
orange juice, zest and
Continue whipping until
peaks are firm.
Sunkist Citrus Mini-Tart with
Fresh Orange Whipped Cream
Here’s a decadent way to get a springtime shot of vitamin C!
1 cup Sunkist fresh-squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 3-inch puff pastry rounds, thawed if frozen
16 Sunkist fresh orange segments
8 Sunkist fresh pummelo segments*
8 tablespoons Sunkist Fresh Orange Whipped Cream
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In small saucepan, combine orange juice and brown sugar,
stirring to dissolve sugar.
3. Heat to boiling and reduce mixture by one half to
a syrupy consistency. Let cool to room temperature.
4. Brush 1 tablespoon of syrup on each pastry round.
5. Arrange 2 orange segments and 1 pummelo segment
on each pastry.
6. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, or until
lightly golden brown.
7. Top each tart with 1 tablespoon Sunkist Fresh Orange
Whipped Cream. Makes 8 servings.
*Sunkist grapefruit can be substituted when pummelo is out of season.
Reprinted with permission of Sunkist Growers, Inc. All rights reserved.