Your guests will halt in their tracks
when they first see—and then eat—this
1 brick green floral oasis foam
Oasis adhesive tape
Deep oval dish
40-60 12-inch wooden skewers
By Pat Volchok,
Depending on the season, most produce will be
available at Costco and can be prepared one day early.
• Broccoli and cauliflower florets: Clean and break
heads into small florets with 1-inch stems. Bag
• Radish florets: Using a small paring knife, trim
the ends and then cut short slashes around each
radish. Place in refrigerated ice water to “bloom.”
• Asparagus spears: Cut the top 3 to 4 inches off
each asparagus stalk and blanch in hot water for
up to 3 minutes, or until barely limp. Cool in
ice water, drain, bag and refrigerate.
• Red and yellow pepper flowers: Cut peppers
into 2- to 3-inch triangle-shaped fans. Using
a knife, scallop the side of the pepper opposite
the fan point. Bag and refrigerate.
• Cherry tomatoes: Clean.
• Olives: Select pitted olives of all colors and
shapes. Drain brine. Bag and refrigerate.
• Jicama flowers: Peel and slice into 1/4-inch disks.
Use a cookie-cutter to make a flat flower. Bag
• Cucumber flowers: Same as jicama, except you
can opt to only partially peel. Bag and refrigerate.
• Carrot flowers: Peel a carrot and then, starting
about 2 inches from the top, make 4 evenly
spaced vertical cuts in toward the center. The
individual cuts should meet at the center of the
carrot. Give a quick twist and break off. Repeat.
Bag and refrigerate.