Broiled or Grilled
Butterflied Leg of Lamb
1 4- to 5-pound butterflied Australian leg of lamb, trimmed to an even
thickness of 2-2 1/2 inches, patted dry
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. To prepare the paste, place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix.
2. Remove the netting from the lamb. Coat the entire surface of the lamb with
the paste. Place lamb on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least 1
hour or up to 24 hours.
3. Position the broiler pan 4-5 inches away from the heating element and
preheat the broiler and broiler pan, or prepare a medium-hot grill fire. Place
the lamb, fat side down, on the broiler pan or grill rack.
4. Cook, turning once, until well seared but still juicy and pink on the inside,
about 12 minutes on each side. Cook for a few minutes more on each side
5. Remove lamb from the oven and let stand for 6-8 minutes, loosely covered
with aluminum foil. Cut lamb into 1/2-inch slices. Makes 8-10 servings.