Fresh “World Famous Fruit” Compote
4 fresh Stemilt* apples (Gala, Pink Lady or Fuji)
4 fresh Stemilt* peaches
2 cups fresh Stemilt* cherries, pitted and halved
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1. Peel and thinly slice apples and peaches, removing pits and seeds.
2. Combine apple and peach slices in a bowl with cherries, lemon juice and
sugar. Stir together until the fruit is coated with lemon juice and the sugar
is mostly dissolved.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until the cornstarch is
dissolved and the mixture resembles a watery paste.
4. Pour the fruit mixture into a heavy saucepan, bring to a boil and then
immediately reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer for another 5-6 minutes, or
until the apples are just beginning to soften but are still slightly crisp-tender.
6. Serve the compote warm over waffles, oatmeal or pancakes.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Tips: Chilled compote is delicious mixed into vanilla yogurt or eaten straight
from the bowl. The compote can also be served over ice cream for a fruity
dessert. It can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
Strawberries and Cream Pancakes
2 cups Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
Vegetable oil or cooking spray
1 pint ( 2 cups) fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
1/2 cup whipped cream topping in aerosol can
1. In a medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk and eggs with a wire whisk
or fork until blended.
2. Brush a griddle or skillet with vegetable oil or coat with cooking spray.
Heat griddle to 375°F or heat skillet over medium heat.
3. For each pancake, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter onto the hot
griddle. Cook until the edges are dry. Turn and cook the other side until
4. To serve, spoon strawberries over the pancakes. Top with whipped
cream. Makes 4 servings ( 12 pancakes).