Italian Blood Orange Salad
1 small to medium red onion, sliced into thin rings
3-4 Moro blood oranges
2 Italian navel oranges
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
About 15 Italian black olives
2 tablespoons Italian extra-virgin olive oil
I Salads and Soups
1. Half fill a medium-size bowl with ice cubes. Add onion slices, cover with
more ice, and fill the bowl with cold water. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up
to 2 hours.
2. Squeeze 1/4 cup juice from one of the oranges and set aside. Peel the
remaining oranges and slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
3. Shortly before serving, arrange orange slices in a fan pattern on a large plate.
4. Drain the onions, pat dry and tuck here and there among the orange slices.
5. Lightly dust the salad with salt and pepper. Drizzle the salad with the
orange juice, scatter olives over it and sprinkle with olive oil. Taste for seasoning.
Makes 6-8 servings.