NEW YORK STYLE SAUSAGE6
1 pound 15-bean mix, soaked for 1/2 teaspoon salt
12 hours in 2-3 parts water to 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 part beans 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup light olive oil 2 tablespoons red wine
1 pound bulk New York 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Style* sausage 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup diced onions 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2/3 cup diced celery 1 quart chicken stock
2/3 cup diced carrots 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon crushed garlic in puree
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until
lightly browned, stirring to crumble into small pieces.
2. Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, shallots, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
4. Deglaze the pan with wine and vinegar.
5. Add Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Cook until liquid is reduced.
6. Add chicken stock, tomatoes and drained beans. Cook at a low boil for
7. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes,
or until the beans are tender. Makes 6-8 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.