WESTERN SWEET CHERRY
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 cup dried tart cherries
1 1/2 pounds fresh sweet Western Sweet* cherries, halved and pitted,
or 20 ounces frozen pitted Bing cherries, halved
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brandy
1 tablespoon rum
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Orange zest (optional)
1. Place pomegranate juice and dried cherries in a large heavy saucepan and
bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 20 minutes.
2. Bring dried cherry mixture to a simmer. Stir in fresh or frozen
cherries and sugar. Simmer until cherries soften, about 2 minutes for fresh
and 5 minutes for frozen.
3. In a small bowl, mix brandy and rum; blend in cornstarch. Slowly stir
into cherries. Cook over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens,
about 1 minute.
4. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate until cold. Garnish with orange
zest, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
* Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.
California Peach Crisp
3 pounds ripe fresh Sun West California peaches
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granola (no dried fruit)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut an X on blossom end of peaches and place in boiling water for
10 seconds. Peel and cut into 3/4-inch slices.
3. In a bowl, stir together sugar, flour, granola, nutmeg and salt. Work in
butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until small clumps form.
4. Spread peaches in a lightly buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Toss peaches with orange juice. Top with crumb mixture.
5. Bake on the middle oven rack until topping is golden and peaches are
tender, 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.