Chocolatey Peanut Butter Bars
1/2 Regular Crisco Stick or 1/2 cup Regular Crisco all-vegetable shortening,
plus more for greasing pan
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats (uncooked)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (6-ounce package) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-2 teaspoons evaporated milk
Milk chocolate English toffee bits (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch glass baking dish
2. Combine 1/2 stick or 1/2 cup Crisco shortening, granulated sugar, brown
sugar, egg and water in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium
speed until well blended. Beat in 1/3 cup Jif peanut butter and vanilla.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to
creamed mixture at low speed until well blended. Spread in the baking dish.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light brown. Remove pan from the oven
and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the hot baked cookie base.
Let stand for 5 minutes, or until chips become shiny and soft. Spread to cover
and let cool slightly. Cut into bars about 2 by 1 3/4 inches. Cool completely.
5. For topping, combine confectioners’sugar, 2 tablespoons Jif peanut butter
and evaporated milk. Stir until well blended. Drizzle over chocolate. Sprinkle
with toffee bits, if desired. Makes 24 bars.
Brands may vary by region; substitute a similar product.